The classic lasagne made healthy! Using our premium grade beef mince and adding in heaps of hidden veggies. This one is sure to be a hit around the dinner table.
1 brown onion diced
2 medium zucchinis shredded
2 medium carrot shredded
1 cup Mushrooms
2 cans diced tomatoes
140g Tomato paste
2 tablespoon minced garlic
¼ cup Fresh parsley or basil, Chopped finely
Lasagne noodle sheets
250g Cottage cheese
¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
1 ½ cups Light Mozzarella Cheese – can full fat or fat free
Salt pepper – to taste
1. Pre heat oven to 180°c
2. Dice onions and mushrooms small. Shred carrots and zucchinis.
3. Place a large fry pan over a medium to high heat. (if not non-stick add 1 tablespoon of oil.) Add mince and cook until brown.
4. Once meat is fully browned add in onion and cook for one minute or until slightly translucent. Next add mushrooms, cook for one minute or until slightly softened.
5. Next Add in your garlic, cook until fragrant. Add in the shredded carrot and zucchini and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add in your tomato paste, diced tomatoes and fresh parsley. Let simmer for 10 – 15 minutes. Finish with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Put a light layer of sauce on the bottom of your baking dish, followed by a layer of noodles. Top that will a splatter of cottage cheese and a light sprinkle of mozzarella.
8. Repeat with meat, noodle, cheese until all of your ingredients are gone. You want to finish with a good layer of sauce and cheese on top.
9. Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes. Then remove foil and cook for a further 15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown on top.
10. Cut and serve!
Tips & Tricks
Premium Beef Mince – Using a premium grade mince, means you aren’t getting any fat through the meat. All our beef is grass fed which means there is less marbling (fat through the meat) making it a healthier option.
Veggies – You can substitute any of the veggies for one of your choice, my only tip here is to grate or finally chop them so they are less visible to the kids.
Cottage Cheese – Cottage cheese is a great substitute for a bechamel (cheese sauce). It is rich in protein, calcium and vitamin b12.
Mozzarella – If you can try purchasing whole Mozzarella and shredding it yourself it is better for you. Pre shredded cheese has an ‘anti clumping agent’ that is an extra ingredient you just don’t need in your diet. However, this is optional, if you can’t access this, pre shredded is still fine to use.
Lasagne Noodles – For better texture try only boiling your pasta for 5 minutes to soften but not fully cooked. However, if you’re lazy like me, the no boil option is even better!